Thursday, October 21, 2021

Leap, and the Net Will Follow

Years ago, I worked with a lovely woman who made the decision to leave everything that she knew of up to that point behind and move by herself to Colorado. This, of course, involved a man, but that wasn't the sole reason for the life-changing decision. I remember her saying, "Leap, and the net will follow." I liked that then, and I've wanted to like that since, but leaping and having faith that everything will be okay (even better than okay) is not my strongest suite. At my core, I need reassurance and stability. I need to be assured that everything really will be okay. I like knowing what's around the next bend even though I really want to be that carefree spirit that just believes.

All this to say, I did it! We did it. My husband and I made the leap and moved to San Antonio, Texas. We left the family behind to move to an area we know no one (save our real estate agent and a friend of a friend). Why did we do this? Simple: California.

Both my husband and I are native Californians, born and raised. My kids are all in California; so are my three grand-kids. We didn't necessarily want to move out of the area and home that we put our heart and soul into. We felt we had no choice but to move out of California. 

As a California native, it is most sad to see our great state in such devastation. When I first moved into the San Fernando Valley, I was able to safely ride my bike to the local grocery store without fear of being harassed or stopped by a homeless person. Now, that is not a possibility. In fact, the homeless have completely taken over our once beautiful local community. When I saw a homeless man drop his oversized underwear and shit on the sidewalk in front of our local Ralph's grocery store, I knew it was time to leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment